My family and I are on a mission to reach all of our health and fitness goals by my wedding in June. We have a group text going (“Team Drop It Like It’s Hot fire emoji flexing bicep emoji“) where we share our successes and failures (trying to convince them that a skinny margarita with cucumber was like a salad didn’t quite fly…) as well as post motivation for everyone to stay the course.
One of my goals is to stop eating out. Which is really hard for me because I LOVE restaurants. But my goals come first and I’ve committed to cooking even more. The toughest part for me is lunch. When I get home at night I actually enjoy cooking dinner, but rarely feel like packing a lunch after preparing and cleaning a whole meal. To combat this, I’ve started seeking out ways to make lunch interesting (so I don’t pack a lunch then go to D’Deli because I don’t want to eat it anymore) as well as easy (so I don’t have to be in the kitchen an extra two hours).
Today I packed shredded Mexican seasoned chicken with guacamole and salsa! It was super easy to make and also delicious. Here’s what to do…
For the Crock Pot Mexican Chicken:
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- Any Seasoning (I used a packet taco seasoning, but a few shakes of garlic powder, chili powder, and onion powder would be equally delicious)
- Either in the morning before work or at night before bed, place all ingredients in a slow cooker
- Cook on the 8 hour setting (medium-low)
- After 8 hours, remove the chicken breasts from the broth and place them in a large bowl or Tupperware
- Using two forks, pull apart the chicken to shred
- Place in the refrigerator for later or eat immediately
For the Quick & Easy Guacamole
- 1 Ripe Avocado
- 1/2 Lime
- Spike Seasoning
- With a large knife, slice the avocado lengthwise to open
- Carefully use the knife to remove the pit by hitting it with the blade and then twisting out
- Scoop out the avocado with a spoon and place into a medium sized bowl
- Add the juice of 1/2 a lime (if using a small lime, you may want to use the whole thing)
- Sprinkle in a few dashes of Spike to taste
- Mash with a fork to your desired consistency (I like my guac a bit on the chunky side)
To assemble your lunch, all you’ll need to do is scoop 4-6oz of the chicken breast over the guacamole and top with the salsa of your choice!