As someone who both has to work hard for good skin and likes to keep things natural, I’ve done a lot of research on easy, affordable, and non-toxic ways to keep skin healthy and glowing. After coming across an article a few years back about how model Miranda Kerr swears by the method I bought myself a brush and have never looked back!
Basically, dry brushing is exactly what you’d think it is: stroking a dry natural bristle brush across your skin, preferable before a shower or bath. Here are some of the benefits as mentioned by health guru Kris Carr:
Dry brushing loosens dead cells, stimulates acupressure points, tickles your chi, massages your meridians, moves the lymph, helps reduce CELLULITE, stimulates your immune system, wakes up circulation and makes your skin soooo soft and velvety!
This stimulation of the skin improves circulation and assists the lymphatic system which helps to eliminate toxins while opening your pores and exfoliating to give you a nice glow. Although you’re more than welcome to brush in whichever fashion you’d like, there are some general guidelines if you’re looking for a place to start or want to make sure you’re getting the best out of the process:
- Use a brush with natural bristles. Good choices are this one, this one, or this one, however your local Whole Foods is likely to also have a wide selection of other options that will work just as well.
- Start from your feet and work upwards using small strokes, both straight and circular.
- Brush towards your heart to properly stimulate circulation.
- If you’re new to dry brushing, it may feel a little intense at first. Start off with once per day of light brushing and work up to twice per day of firmer brushing as your skin acclimates.
- Follow up with a shower and a natural moisturizer, like coconut oil. In the shower, begin with hot water and let the steam soften your skin, then cool it off to give your circulatory system a boost.
The experts recommend giving it a try for a month to see how you feel. While I personally have found a regular dry brushing routine makes a big difference in my skin and overall health, those with sensitive skin might not see the same results.