If you’ve ever used a natural deodorant, you’ll know why I was a little skeptical when I received a sample of Zak Detox Deodorant, a 100% natural deodorant that claims to provide up to 24-hours of protection.
I’m an active person – working up a good sweat several times per week, running around campus for work, cleaning a two story apartment with very steep stairs – and have always relied on clinical strength deodorants to keep me looking (and smelling) good. The crystal deodorants just don’t cut it for me. Because I was coming into this with a bias, I really wanted to make sure to put Zak Detox Deodorant through a thorough investigation to give it a fair shot. So to test it out, I wore it on a lazy day, to a hard workout, and out to a farmer’s market in 90 degree heat.
In a nutshell, here’s how Zak Detox Deodorant stacks up!
- It’s actually good for you. As their website says, “Antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, fatty acids and amino acids repair and replenish your cells. No aluminum, no propylene glycol, no harmful chemicals, absolutely nothing bad.”
- It smells wonderful. My sample was the women’s “Elevate” scent, which is sage, rose geranium, and vanilla. It was very spa like without being too overwhelming.
- It works. I was pleasantly surprised how well this deodorant works! On my “lazy” day (normal walking around, no strenuous exercise, hot but not burning) I would say this actually worked as well as my clinical strength deodorant. In the heat and during my workout, I didn’t feel particularly more smelly. However…
- My sweat smelled different. TMI warning. When I was exerting more of an effort, or on the farmer’s market day where it was so hot that I was dripping sweat, I didn’t necessarily think I smelled like terrible BO, but there was a different sort of smell. I definitely wanted to shower when I got home, not because I felt sticky, but because I did feel like I could smell myself a little.
- The texture is a bit bumpy. This is actually something Zak Detox Deodorant addresses on their website. It did feel a bit scratchy going on, so if you’re really sensitive this is something you might want to consider. However, I personally have very sensitive skin and it wasn’t something that would deter me from purchasing this product. Apparently the slightly rough texture has to do with the deodorizing properties, and the reason that this particular natural product works so much better than others is because they do not sacrifice effectiveness for texture.
I would buy this product! While I wouldn’t rely on it if I knew I had to be 100% sweat stain free (like for a presentation or on a date), I would definitely use it for day to day activities – even working out. To tell you the truth I was pretty shocked that I liked it as much as I did. However, having a super strong deodorant from time to time is something that I am willing to sacrifice some natural-ness for (which is probably not a good thing). I am so happy I was sent this sample because I had honestly ruled out natural deodorants since I had tried so many horrible products that I sweat did absolutely nothing at all.
If you try Zak Detox Deodorant, I’d love to hear about your experience!