If You’re Having a Case of the Mondays: Robert Waldinger on What makes a good life? Lessons from the longest study on happiness

Having a case of the Mondays? Or maybe you’ve just been doing some thinking on how you can be happier. Feeling unfulfilled, lonely, stressed out? You need to watch this TED Talk.

What keeps us happy and healthy as we go through life? If you think it’s fame and money, you’re not alone – but, according to psychiatrist Robert Waldinger, you’re mistaken. As the director of a 75-year-old study on adult development, Waldinger has unprecedented access to data on true happiness and satisfaction. In this talk, he shares three important lessons learned from the study as well as some practical, old-as-the-hills wisdom on how to build a fulfilling, long life.


The Fail-Proof Way to Happily Head Back to Work

This morning, after almost two glorious weeks of rest and relaxation, I woke up, made my morning tea (which is much more luxurious after my Christmas gift of Emperor’s Clouds and Mist green tea from Teavana), and stared at my computer, trying to convince myself to start working. I absolutely love what I do, but I think something would be a little wrong with me if I didn’t have an urge to just sit on the couch and start another Sherlock marathon. I knew I needed to clear the cobwebs out of my head somehow – so I went to Omvana to see my good friend Vishen Lakhiani.

Whenever I need a little extra happiness/motivation/soul-searching, I head straight for the 20min 6 Phase Meditation (as I’ve mentioned before). If you need an extra kick in the pants, are feeling stressed about all those holiday emails, or just want to boost your 2016 resolutions with some positive energy, I highly suggest you take just 20min to sit with yourself as Vishen guides you through relaxation and visualization of your perfect future. Download the Omvana app on your smartphone or listen to the YouTube version below!

Happiness, Harvard, & Achieving True Success

“What does a Harvard student possibly have to be unhappy about?” You’ve probably asked or have been asked this type of question at some point. I know I sure have (said in Will Ferrell Harry Caray voice)! The funny thing is that our external world is NOT predictive of our happiness level! We assume that if we make more money, have a better title, receive more accolades, then we will be happier, but in reality, only 10% of long term happiness is attributed to these external factors. TEN PERCENT! The other 90% of long term happiness is dictated by the way the brain processes the world. So when a good friend and informal life coach (hi Kasey!) pointed me to “The Happiness Advantage” TED Talk below, I was excited to see what advice Shawn Achor had for finding happiness outside of achieving success and reaching goals. Take a look…

If you’re short on time, here are my favorite takeaways from the video:

Continue reading

Spring Cleaning for the Mind, Body, & Spirit: Part Two

As I mentioned yesterday, this Wednesday I will be embarking on a 45-day mind, body, and spirit (MBS) journey as a part of Lent. While I do this every year leading up to Easter, there are many good reasons to take your own journey even if you are not religious, including reviving your resolutions, combating Seasonal Affect Disorder, and getting to your “happy weight (read more about those reasons here).

Mind Goal Idea: Start a Daily Gratitude Journal
Mind Goal Idea: Start a Daily Gratitude Journal

If you’re back here because you’d like to join me, hooray! I’m excited to have a buddy. If this all sounds a little too hippy-dippy for you, that’s okay too! You can still read on for some goal setting tips that are helpful in any situation.

Continue reading

2014: Happier & Healthier

Well, as I’m sure you can tell by my posting (or lack thereof), 2013 was one of the most challenging years I have ever had. In fact, I think it’s pretty safe to say that is was THE most challenging. But instead of rehashing the past, I’m choosing to move forward and focus on the future. Sayonara, 2013! Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

And on to 2014.

Admittedly, I’m one for making resolutions. The nerd in me totally loves goal setting, list making, and planning. But this year it’s different. The new year is the spark I needed to relight the fire within, the passion for life that 2013 stomped out just a bit. This year I’m determined to be even happier, healthier, and more prosperous than ever before. I’m ready to take all of those tough lessons learned in 2013 and use them to power my way through 2014.

Here are some of my personal (non-professional) resolutions/inspirations for the coming year.

Continue reading